Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Tick Tock


                As the clock’s thin hand glides over the 12, I realize that is the last simple rotation I will ever experience. Such a modest thing, a clock, but when you only have 60 more ticks left in your life, everything becomes so much more important. I never thought I would find myself counting down the seconds of my last minute, yet here I am. With each tick of the second hand, the realization sinks deeper and deeper: I am earnestly about to die. Gone. Forever. Perhaps I deserve this, no, I do deserve this, but, at the same time, it all feels so terribly inhumane. I guess I never attempted to empathize with anyone who has stood in my current position because no one like me should ever stand here, no one who always demonstrated impeccable citizenship should ever receive a death sentence. But I slipped. The hand glosses over the three: forty-five more ticks. With only three-fourths of a minute remaining in your life, you may think one would begin to really consider what happens after death, but, for me, I chose to ponder my funeral. What colors everything would be, what pictures my family would use etc. Would anyone even come besides her? At least I can join the small club of individuals who knew the date of their own funeral weeks before death. 30 more movements. Now, I begin to search for some small joys, those little things you overlook daily but make your life worth living. The list proves short and, soon enough, only 15 more. Despite my efforts, the only thought in my mind proves the consideration of her last seconds. The ones I ended. I have the clock to remind me of the impending destruction, but she had nothing to forewarn her. So, as the second hand reaches nears the top, I think only of her. The hand strikes 12 and, for a short moment, the hand and I are one, both beginning our falls down to 6. But mine comes faster as the floor beneath me disappears, and I sink into my death.

7 comments:

  1. Wowzers. I cannot help but think of "In Cold Blood" when I read this entry. Your use of short syntax and thought-provoking insights into a death row prisoner makes me question your sanity yet commend your twisted, anxiety enducing writing. Well done Roo!

    P.S. If you need someone to talk to about any problems you face let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Your use of short syntax evokes an unparalleled sense of drama that makes this story meaningful and thought-provoking. It makes me consider what exactly goes through people's heads as they count down the seconds to their inevitable deaths, and you did a great job of reflecting that. I especially like your inclusion of the consideration of the funeral--it makes everything more realistic and dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post seems very pungent, the words heavy, the tone ominous, but I could not help but feel a certain sympathy for the speaker. As one can infer speaker has done some bad things to earn his spot on death row but I have no feelings of malice towards him. Like Shannon it reminds me of "In Cold Blood" and makes me wonder what sort of insights those lined up for execution have before their foreboding death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire the way that you took just a minute of somebody's life and made it into a complete story. I too feel some sympathy towards the man even though one of the few things we know includes his status on death row. I commend you for the way you provoke emotion through this short post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, as those who have commented before me, I absolutely loved this story. The consistent regretful yet hopeful tone evoked extreme sympathy from me, towards the speaker. It's interesting to think about how simply an author can manipulate their audience into feeling a specific way about anything, like you did in just 300 words. Great job, Roo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Odly, I feel like this presents a relateable experience. Not that many people have actually experienced a hanging, but the fear of death remains prevelant in all of us. A really frightening thought but I love the way you portray its terrors.

    ReplyDelete