Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Life's a Puzzle


*Ding* I glance down at the piece of high-tech machinery I had always used for trivial, childish things before. But now I have seen the light. Now I know the real reason I was blessed with an extravagant phone. I discovered the truth and have realized my destiny: I am a Ruzzle prodigy. With each swift move, I intricately form labyrinthine words that aid me in not only annihilating my opponent but also in continuing my quest for future fame. As each round passes, I search for the power-ups and complex words that will increase my score in the game and in life. My body enters a hyperactive state and every conveniently placed Double Word or Triple Letter causes my heart to instinctively skip a beat. When the countdown starts, I transform into a jaguar, expeditiously barreling around the board, earning numerous awards for my polysyllabic and rare words. The game loves me almost as much as I love the game. Although, I should not use "game" because it is not just a silly game, it is a lifestyle. My whole life rides on my every victory: my parents' happiness, my college education, my future. Everything. I need to be the next Ruzzle Champion. So I win. I practice hourly, contesting, and destroying, every comrade I possibly can. But champions have to work harder than that, so I do finger stretches, repeat extensive drills to increase thumb/eye coordination, memorize dictionary pages, anything that will help me become the best Ruzzle player this world has ever seen and ever will see. I already feel close and have received the title "The Michael Jordan of Ruzzle" more than once, but I reject comments such as this. Why? Because I never had a moment of weakness like many of the players whose stories America soaks up. I never got cut from my school's Ruzzle team, encouraging me to work even harder to become the best champion this world has ever seen. No. I did that from the start. I founded and am captain off the Ruzzle team. I am a new breed of athlete, ready to take on the world. But, since I know exerts from these blogs will one day appear as the feature story on multiple magazines, I will share my coveted, soon-to-be-reached goal: I want to achieve the perfect game. One day, soon, after finishing a round I will see a glorious statement along the lines of "You found 271 out of 271 possible words." Some say it is impossible, I say "impossible" is too long of a word to play on a Ruzzle board and is thus not in my vocabulary. I know this may come as a shock to many of you who have not had the privileges of attempting to dethrone me, but I promise you that I only tell the truth. Start to mentally prepare yourselves for the inevitable influx of reporters at our school doors and the strangers meandering around town, wanting a glimpse at sport’s next best thing. And, finally, to answer the question on all of your minds, yes, you can have my autograph.

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand your obsession with Ruzzle, since I found myself completely addicted to the iPod game, Doodle Jump, during freshman year. I played during class, on the bus, and before bed, until I reached my ultimate goal: the national scoreboard. Yes, you did read that correctly. National. As in the entire world. From December 3rd until December 10th 2009, Doodle Jump players from China, Russia, Afghanistan, and Antarctica could see that katemackin13 had achieved the 42nd highest score in the nation. I still take pride in this impressive achievement, so I urge you to continue to hone your Ruzzle skills in the hopes that one day, you too can claim a coveted spot on the national scoreboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to burst your extremely confident bubble, but sources in the Ruzzle-sphere tell me Johnny Ciabotti has beaten you in your self-proclaimed profession more than once. Not sure how long a word a Ruzzle board can make but undefeated must be too long because you cannot describe yourself with such an adjective. Word of advice though: perfect practice makes perfect, not just practice. And thumb-eye coordination does not exist, logically eye-thumb makes much more sense.

    ReplyDelete