Wednesday, April 10, 2013

College.


As more and more students make their college decision, the search for a quality roommate remains in full-swing. The idea that a future living mate will often judge you solely on your Facebook profile, including those awkward selfies from freshman year, proves terrifying. But, soon, we will not only have to decide how to portray our online profiles, but also how to portray ourselves. For many, college offers a chance to reinvent oneself; however, I only seek to improve upon my current self. For instance, though I can call many of my current classmates friends, when I move onto a much larger atmosphere, I hope this still reigns true. I want to become a comrade to my future college counterparts, and hope that I will never have a walk to class in which I do not stop and chat with friendly face. Furthermore, I want students to see me remain confident in my current interests as I used to often conceal my tastes. Hey, maybe I will even let it slip to a few people that I like One Direction despite the possible judgments. As well, I hope my fellow students view me as a hardworking and dedicated individual since, though I sometimes hate to remember it, the real reason for attending college remains to learn. With this at the forefront of my mind, I aspire to become someone my future friends will admire for my intellect and dedication. Finally, I want my classmates to see me as someone they can always have fun with, regardless of the situation. At anywhere from a party to a study session, I hope I can make my prospective friends laugh and that they always enjoy the time they spend with me. Whether I become one in 27, 500 at Michigan or one in 1 in 15, 700 at the University of Virginia, I hope I can stand out to my fellow classmates as an outgoing and devoted student.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you, and I also talked about how I want to improve certain traits of mine. I too want to see familiar faces as I walk through campus, but I also want to succeed in my classes. I think that balance will prove tough to reach, but I feel ready for the challenge.

    P.S. Go Hoos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must feel good being totally content with your current self and personality. I envy the man, or woman that would look into the Mirror of Erised and see themselves simply holding a pair of socks, as the late and great Professor Dumbledore once did. My only admonishment being that if you ever blog to your new college friends, do not write in grey font on a grey background, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog posed one of the first challenges to my own stated goal, that of not jumping to grumpiness and naps at any given opportunity. I feel proud to say however, I saw the formatting and did not simply write off the entire blog, and instead forced my way through it. Though, I cannot tell if this resulted from my escape from an irritation-prone state, or illustrates my unwillingness to push the back arrow and shift through blogs until I uncovered an easier one.

    ReplyDelete