Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Marry Me, Bridesmaids


Let me start by stating that I generally do not enjoy movies, and I have a tendency to try to compensate for this by constantly quoting things but, trade secret, they all come from three movies. Despite a broad cinematic range, I still struggled to choose my favorite film for today’s topic and think we should have had the ability to choose multiple, I mean it’s civil rights, this is the ‘90s. However, after much deliberation, I decided on the modern classic Bridesmaids. I know my young self just winced in pain when I did not remain loyal to the incredible Mean Girls, but how could I not pick Bridesmaids when the first time I watched the comedy it looked into my g****** soul? I will forever stand on the side of humor, though, as we always stay the same, but grow, I guess, a little bit. What originally drew me to the film proved my friends’ constant praise of it, one of them even felt it proved more beautiful than Cinderella, and, after watching it 15+ times, I definitely agree. The film’s brilliant humor and exceptional quote-ability increased my love for the tale, in addition to its uncommon inclusion of a depressing storyline. It's the first time I've ever seen a comedy seem ugly and that makes me kind of happy. After my first viewing, I knew I would always remain hooked, and my parents eventually gave into the constant remarks of “Help me, I’m poor! and bought me a copy. That is when the addiction really kicked it. Why would I not watch it every weekend after that? I mean, it’s for free! I also used the film as a source of renewable entertainment because, I know you look at me now and think, boy she must have breezed through high school, but that is not the case. They threw fire crackers at my head. Fire crackers. I mean literally. I’m not saying that figuratively. I got fire crackers thrown at my head. Do you think I let that break me? No. You know what I did? I watched Bridesmaids as much as possible. Thus, my ironic nostalgia for the time of constant Bridesmaids marathons and the movie’s incredible comedic appeal allow it to overcome any possible cinematic opponent. I cannot resist a quality comedy with mostly intelligent punch lines and Bridesmaids provides this, plus a moving central plot. So, to my favorite movie, khob kun Ka (It means "You are a part of me, a part that I could never live without. And I hope and I pray that I never have to.")

Thanks again to Derek Stovenson for the topic! (What kind of a name is 'Stovenson” anyway? Are you an appliance?)

6 comments:

  1. (Please do not grade this, Ms. Serensky) LOL ROO YOU NAILED IT! Seriously, your quote integration cracked me up and truthfully would make even Ashlyn proud. I, too, love this movie and since we took Spanish together in fifth grade I would just like to say: Gracias para vivar en la casa, en la escuelas, en... en la azul... "markada". Tienes con "bibir" en las Fortuashla?" and gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar too your fabulous blog, Roo, I too wrote a quote-themed entry this week. Instead of Bridesmaids, however, I focused on Mean Girls. Both movie's quotes lend themselves so well to the inclusion of quotes in our blogs. More importantly, they can keep us all laughing for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roo, like you, I also heard about Bridesmaids from my friends. Though, my dad actually made me finally watch it. During a family dinner last year, he called down all of my relatives (grandparents included) to the basement to watch the food poisoning scene in our basement. Though my grandpa did not find it very funny, I cannot remember another time when my grandma laughed so hard. The comic genius of the writers truly seems unmatched to many other chick-flicks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roo, I'd just like to "snowball off" of your excellent post and say that I too treasure *Bridesmaids* immensely. I agree that the movie has the power to consume one's life, though. When I first watched the movie, I viewed it nine times before stopping. I admit, "I probably overcommitted with 9... I feel like 6 would have proved more comfortable." Nonetheless, my parents did not "invite me to no longer live with them," so I think I'm in the clear. Great blog, Roo! "I feel like this is such a stone-cold pack of loyal Bridesmaids fans, and I am so proud!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rented Bridesmaids once it came out on demand on Directv as my friends began to allude to scenes in every day discussion. So, I presumed that it had become socially unacceptable not to have seen the movie, and ordered the only version available: the Uncensored/Unrated edition. Though I found a few of the quotes hilarious, the well, uncensored scenes proved rather distasteful. I never finished the film, but I certainly see why you love it so; the some characters and situations certainly made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When people tell me that have not seen the movie Bridesmaids, I get angry. How can one live without seeing such a work of art?! Anyway, I applaud you on your incorporation of all the hilarious quotes from the movie. They made me laugh. And you know that I am available whenever you feel like poppin' Bridesmaid in the DVD player!

    ReplyDelete