Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Materialistic Monkeys


            I enjoy working at Math Monkey, or “The Monkey” as the cool kids say, for a variety of reasons, but the main perk lies in the plethora of relatively humorous stories I now have in my repertoire. For instance, just yesterday, when I asked what president is on the nickel, a child replied “Oak Obama?” (pronounced oh-bam-a).Somehow this sparked a light in another kid who then shouted “MITT ROMNEY.” So close. Or I can always fall back on the kid who peed his pants the last four weeks in a row, despite his mom’s forced bathroom trips before class. A little bit sad, but I always find humor in these situations. Though I generally find these stories solely amusing, one of the students I tutor allowed me to greater understand The Great Gatsby and empathize with its characters (except Jordan Baker, I still hate her). Allow me to set the scene: I assist a sixth-grader who has a great personality and appears very intelligent, but really reveals the woes of a modern preteen. This Tuesday, she entered, no, strutted into the tutoring room wearing a thick coat of glitter pink eye shadow and mascara, and I let a subtle look of confusion slip due to the fact that I struggle to wear basic make-up on a daily basis as a senior in high school. I then noted her iPhone 4s, emphasis on the s, she does not mess around with any old iPhone 4, that she had contained in a giant silicon bunny case, tail and everything (for a visual). I could not retain my curiosity and inquired about when she first received a cell-phone, and she promptly informed me she acquired it in fourth grade. At this point, I started to feel a little old as I relayed the classic “When I was your age” routine. With the thought of Daisy in the back of my mind, I immediately became critical of the girl’s apparent materialism, despite enjoying her character and intellect. However, I soon realized I would have, and still do, act the same, just in different ways. This forced me to note the similarities between myself and all of Fitzgerald’s characters. I think we all contain at least of touch of materialism and sense of entitlement, but, when observing our own flaws, we often criticize without recognizing the commonalities. Some may argue that the booming economy and celebratory attitude of the 20s instilled much of the character’s greediness, but did our society not create the Hummer Stretch Limo? We all always want more, and neither I, nor my tutee, nor Daisy, nor any of the characters in The Great Gatsby, act any different.

7 comments:

  1. Just envisioning the glitter covered girl makes me laugh since I know from personal experience how funny and ridiculous these kids can be. Working at a dance studio, I have run ins with hip hop divas, six-year-old prima ballerinas, and of course the numerous pre-teen girls who strut in covered from head to toe in LuLu Lemon and wearing make-up more elaborate than my own. Ah, kids these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely sympathize with your experiences having worked at an all girls camp this summer. Not a day went by when I didn't hear an outrageous story from one of the girls or wonder in awe why their parents would allow them to bring designer jeans to camp. After observing their over the top wardrobes and material possessions I do have to agree with you that materialism exists at any age, and has become part if our society today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I babysat last weekend for a great family, but they watch the strangest shows on television. The kids grabbed the Apple TV remote and turned on show after show of obnoxious animations in which kids throw tantrums and have these beautiful material possessions at the age of eight. I truly felt like an outsider in that moment, like my grandmother must have felt when I attempted to teach her how to log on to her computer. "The world has changed since my youth," I told them, like a regular 80 year-old as they rolled their eyes, reminded me of my age, and pressed play. Moments like those really make me wonder whether history will repeat itself, if 1920's will occur again. Maybe technology corrupts our generation, but I will always hope it progresses, that this advancement will never pause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose I can agree with the idea that everybody has wants. For example, my shoe collection seems sufficient enough, however, I want more. I believe the intensity of every individual's wants differs though. Your tutee and Daisy provide extreme examples to the idea of materialism, whereas other, more realistic folk (myself included) do not have overwhelming feelings of need for items like bedazzled phone cases and smart phones at the age of 11.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your post amusing and can see your point on the fact that we all want more material goods in our lives. I think people have a tendency to look at the fast moving economy of the twenties and assume this equates purely to people who focus on materialism. yet I think this generation continues to grow in the absurd amount of material possessions given to children. I,too, have babysat for kids and marveled at their possessions, often jealous that I did not receive such lavish gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your abrubt statement about your hate for Jordan Baker proves interesting. In fact, I think young Jordan happens to obtain such unnecessary loathing from the students in AP English class due to Nick's quick witted persuasion in adapting himself as the only likable character in The Great Gatsby. I, however, although liking the character Nick, find that Jordan’s actions towards the end of the book prove reasonable. No one enjoys, nor should have to, experience a girlfriend or boyfriend breaking up with them over the phone. So although Jordan’s comment about being engaged may prove far-fetched, I believe her comeback deems sensible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with your statement regarding your hate for Jordan Baker. I still cannot stand her because of her failure to work things out with Nick. I really wanted things to work out for them, and I think she lies when she says she is engaged anyways. On another note, I like your assertion regarding the slight materialism in all humans. Only normal people desire some materialistic objects, in my opinion, and I think that this observation clearly exists among much of mankind.

    ReplyDelete