Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Combating the Common Cold


            I would like to take this opportunity to formally apologize to everyone who had the misfortune of sharing a class with me during these past few weeks. The constant sniffling, coughing and nose blowing surely annoyed you as it does me. I interrupt my every attempt to speak with an extreme cough or, at the very least, a minor sniffle. To give you an idea of the scale of my struggle, I attempted to count my sniffles during a ten minute period and had to give up when I reached 146. It is a little difficult to make an impressive, analytical argument that people will take serious when your sentences sound like this: "I *sniff* think that *sniff* the green light *series of coughs* acts as a *sniff* symbol of hope *cough* can I get a tissue?" Just a bit annoying. To the extent of my knowledge, I never experienced a true cold prior to Thanksgiving, but I have definitely complained about others’ sicknesses. Sorry, but we all can admit blowing your nose is not cute. My experiences with this terrible entity have forced me to realize I must try to act like more of a Nick Carraway when I inevitably become the healthy one forced to listen to the nasal wars of others. Although I originally scuffed at his idea of "reserving judgments" to a point, my vexing virus has taught me that I truly do not know the extent of everyone else's issues, and I cannot judge until, excuse the trite, I have walked a mile in their shoes (2). I absolutely abhor having a cold and hope I never have to experience it again, but I definitely learned a lot from it. On top of the gained empathy for those battling illnesses, I feel my sickness allows me to relate to those who have to excuse themselves to cough or sneeze as well. As Fitzgerald notes, the division between the sick and the well proves the most fundamental separation and one of the few that appears exempt from all other factors. It does not matter if I have not spoken to someone in years or talk to them daily, I will still have a great conversation with them as we approach the tissue box at the same time or reach for the Purell in unison or even provide medicine for each other (shout out to Jessica Walker for the Tylenol). So, to my fellow sicklings, I finally feel for you. And to those fortunate to have an immune system comparable to Fort Knox, I know the coughing annoys you, but I guarantee you will experience the same one day so do not hate on the sniffles.

2 comments:

  1. A few weeks ago, while taking a calculus test, I listened to the chorus of sniffles, sneezes and coughs. Unfortunately, I myself added to the constant noise which made me very self-conscious. As I grew tired of my sniffling, I quickly learned of the miracles of Airbourne, an over the counter vitamin C supplement that cures the common cold in only a few days. I recommend it as I sympathize with you and your virus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine, my entire family caught the bug roughly two weeks ago as well. You can imagine the horrendous dinner conversation we sustained through the sniffles. Nevertheless, I admire your newfound goal of "reserving judgement" because I have also recently tried to excuse others for incessant coughing and sniffling. Perhaps, similar to how karma works for Nick, it will also work in your favor if you refrain from judging and the illness shall never overcome you again.

    ReplyDelete